Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Tom flies

    Today, my younger (though much bigger) brother Tom moved to Melbourne. He has officially become a grown up, and what an epic way to do it! He arrived at 11 this morning, when me and Kayla greeted him at the airport with a massive green and gold sign (G'day Thomas!) and now I am no longer the only one of my family living out of New Zealand.

    So in Tom's first few hours of being really and truly independent, he moved countries, and as soon as he arrived we were off to the real estate agent so we could sign the lease on our new place! That's some extreme nest-flying if you ask me!

    I've almost teared up thinking about Mum and how upset she would have been saying goodbye to Tom, and how sad she would have been all day.
    (Ok now I am seriously tearing up.) Poor Mum! Lucky she has two extra kids at home, haha.

    Anyway, it's great to have him here. Though one thing I'll have to teach myself to do is think of him as a housemate as well as a little bro - I have already found myself on numerous occasions worrying about him and thinking that I'll have to look after him and make sure he's okay, or that I know where he is at all times. But then I think, he's my housemate now. I don't know where Maire, Kayla, Courtney or Aaron are half the time, and I don't worry about it.

    Once Tom knows all the ropes, and his way around the city a bit better, he'll be sweet! It's going to be a lot of fun living with him and having family around all the time. Perhaps he can even look after me sometimes, haha. In the meantime, I will remain in protective big-sister mode till he's all settled in!

    xx