Monday, July 19, 2010

Small Changes, Big Impact

    Do you ever feel as if your moral compass moves about, willy-nilly? I don't claim the following will make a lot of sense. My husband has been trying to figure it out for years. But as I get older, I am finding that I can't stomach some things as easily as I once could.

    (The cover of one of my favorite Bloom County Collections, Night of the Mary Kay Commandos.)

    While I have not eaten red meat in close to 20 years, it is only recently I have been moved to start really trying to pay attention. I am now a vegetarian, bordering on becoming vegan (sorry, Mom) and am becoming more and more conscious about where I spend my money and the impact it makes. My reasoning for the change doesn't make a lot of sense and it's hard to explain. I stopped buying leather goods after watching an aerial wolf hunting video (a la Sarah Palin). I stopped eating chicken after watching a "downer cow" video accidentally on the news. I have always tried to avoid companies that test on animals, but am not always as vigilant as I would like to be.



    Moving forward, I will try to give you information in each post that relates to the status of a product from a cruelty and/or vegan standpoint. I'm not saying that I am only going to tell you about vegan products and never mention another Mary Kay* product again.

    I'm not the kind of activist that would tell you what to do. But I will try to give you a little more information so you can make your own decisions. Be sure to keep an eye out at the end of a post, near the FTC disclosure for details.

    Do you think before you buy? Do you care? Tell me, please...I'm curious!

    *1. Mary Kay is a lovely company that doesn't test on animals. They stopped testing in 1989, maybe because of Bloom County, my favorite comic/cartoon ever.
    2. I don't think I've ever mentioned Mary Kay, I just really love Bloom County.
    3.That comic series is probably what led me to think about all of this in the first place, when I was in middle/high school.


    Photos taken by me of my beloved Breathed books and strips.
    Little known fact about me: I can decorate an entire Christmas tree with my Bloom County ornaments.


    Subscribe and never miss a thing! Disclosure/Disclaimer Statement. Makeup, beauty, skincare reviews & more! Copyright 2009-2010, Gouldylox Reviews. All Rights Reserved.