Thursday, November 19, 2009

Faking It With Ken Paves: What I Haven't Been Telling You

    I have been growing out the one side of my hair (think Rihanna, not Kate Gosselin) for about a year. It keeps getting trimmed and I keep growing it. Recently, a little over-enthusiasm with a razor left me a little thin-looking when my bags fall forward (I know, I'm really picky.) This has been making me crazy, so I decided to fix it.

    (See? It's not Gosselin-y at all. If it ever gets there, somebody stop me.)

    I marched into my neighborhood hair store, found a cute little weft of human hair for $5, took it home and dyed it to match the rest of my head. I then did my best impression of a hair stylist and cut it to match the hair where it needed to fill in.

    The next day, I wore it to work and no one noticed. Including Mr. Lox, which struck me as odd. Emboldened, I went back to the hair store and picked up a bolder side bang piece with oomph and a few pink wefts of hair for fun.

    I have been wearing the hair pieces every day for over a month and not a single person has noticed that my hair isn't all my own. Including the two ladies whom with I share an office and an art director with a keen eye for details. On a shoot, when I confessed I was wearing an extension, the art director couldn't figure out what was fake. SCORE! If he couldn't tell, then what else could I get away with? He has the most discerning eye of anyone I work with and he loves to be brutally honest about important things like my hair.


    (Those long bits are in no way mine.)

    I am no stranger to hair extensions and pieces and falls and bangs and wigs. I have quite the collection to prove it. But with shorter hair, I haven't been able to pull them off. I did love the versatility using fake hair gave me and I have some hilarious stories surrounding my faux hair use. But that is for another day...

    Last weekend, I decided to up my game and not even bother to do my hair at all. Instead, I decided to wear Jessica Simpson's hair. Not her actual hair , but one of her heat-stylable wigs from the Ken Paves Collection. Instead of doing my own hair, I shook out the wig, adjusted it for my head and voila! Long, luscious locks. I left a little bit of my own bangs out in the front to really sell it. Much to my surprise, it worked.


    I did feel a little strange at first, wearing such perfect, really long hair. It is a little hard to manage that much hair when you aren't used to having it. I didn't get any strange looks and no one commented. However, once when trying on a necklace, the tag did get caught in my hair, which was almost disastrous, but I was able to recover. I did run into my friend Monica at Sephora and she thought my hair looked great, despite not recognizing me at first.

    The hair, which is synthetic, looked pretty good. You can also style this wig with low heat, which is pretty great for non-human hair. Being able to style it with heat gives it a lot of versatility, which makes it a lot of fun. Plus, it looked great in a low pony, which is really easy to pull off in public, even for the most reserved ladies.

    It was much easier than doing my own hair and looked so much better than my Friday Night Lights hat. While I don't think I could wear this on a day-to-day basis, I am looking forward to the next time I can break out my inner hottie and unleash my long hair. In the meantime, I will go back to filling in my little hole in my bangs with a weft.

    Have you worn extensions? Would you? Tell me in the comments!


    Ken Paves product was sent to me for the purposes of review. Lord & Cliff, Remy and Easalites product was purchased by me.


    Subscribe and never miss a thing! Copyright 2009, Gouldylox Reviews. All rights reserved.