Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Pro Makeup Artist, Jacque Carder, On Getting Actors Camera Ready

    I am a television commercial producer, which is a fun job. I get to meet lots of people and learn lots of behind the scenes tips and tricks. One of my producer pals, Mary Holland, recently worked on a huge commercial job in Atlanta and was really impressed by how amazing her talent looked onscreen. While I get to work on HD projects all of the time, I don't get to do a lot of beauty shots and most of the talent I work with aren't trying to look glam. When Mary mentioned she was impressed by the makeup on her HD shoot and wanted to track down the products that were used for herself, I knew something really amazing must have happened.

    (photo courtesy of makeupandstyling.com & Mark DeLong Photography)

    With Mary's help, I chatted with the makeup artist from her shoot, Jacque Carder, to find out what impressed Mary so much that she was still talking about it weeks later. Jacque is a pro makeup artist who does a little bit of everything - from television to features, commercials and print. I often chat with pro makeup artists about their tips and tricks to make everyone look amazing on camera. But Jacque's answer honestly surprised me a little bit. What was her secret to totally flawless skin under the microscope of the HD camera lens? Clinique Pore Minimizer Instant Perfector and/or Smashbox Photo Finish. Really? Clinique?

    While Jacque often uses an airbrush, she said the difference in how her talent look is because of the primer she uses before the foundation. "I use a lot of silicone-based products or specifically dimethicone. Some of my heavy hitters are Smash Box Photo Finish and Clinique Pore Minimizer. You apply the products first and foundation or powder glides on. They work as an oil absorber and spackle all in one. Little imperfections are filled creating a smooth canvas. They can even smooth out wrinkles a bit. You dont want to use too much or it will become greasy and even lumpy. Less is more."

    I picked up the Clinique Pore Minimizer Instant Perfector to try for myself. (I opted to try the Clinique instead of the Smashbox because I have been told the Smashbox isn't the best fit for mineral makeup.) The Clinique reminded me a lot of another much more expensive foundation/primer I had tried and liked in the past. And I am confident in saying that today is the best "face" day I have had in a bit. By that, I mean my skin looks luminous, as if it has been airbrushed. I am definitely wearing a lot more than just the Clinique primer, but my pores are gone and the fine lines by my eyes are camouflaged just a bit. My skin looks much better than if I had skipped this step. (Including skin care, I am wearing 7 products before I even get to my foundation today*.)

    Have you tried this primer? What product makes you feel HD ready? Tell me in the comments!

    I purchased Clinique Pore Minimizer Instant Perfector because I chase magazine-airbrushed perfection, despite the fact I know it doesn't exist.

    *
    1. Jan Marini Age Intervention Face Cream
    2.Jan Marini Age Intervention Eye Cream
    3. Jan Marini C-Esta Serum
    4. Jan Marini AntiOxidant Sunscreen
    5. Clinique Pore Minimizer Instant Perfector
    6. Makeup Forever Primer in Blue
    7. Makeup Forever HD Foundation

    Subscribe and never miss a thing! Copyright 2009, Gouldylox Reviews. All rights reserved.