Saturday, December 26, 2009

2009 Favorite Things Countdown #10

    As the year comes to an end, I thought it would be fun to look back at some of my favorite products and my favorite adventures from this year. So starting today, here are my 10 favorite products, as well as my favorite experiences from 2010.

    I can't be happy (or pleasant to be around) if my lips are dry, let alone chapped. Here's my favorite lip balm from this year.

    If you haven't noticed, one of my favorite things to do is to get or give makeovers. They make me feel giddy like a little kid, with all of the possibilities that are, well possible, with a makeover. After the review is one of my favorite makeovers from the year.


    Favorite Thing #10: Fresh Sugar Rosé Lip Balm

    I know I am starting to sound like a broken record. I have dry skin. The weather changes and it hurts. Blah blah blah. I know that everyone doesn't have the same dry skin issues I do. But for my dry skin sisters out there, here is my latest find.



    I first tried Fresh's Sugar Lip Treatment last winter and fell in love. It's so soft, nourishing and soothing, it became a staple in purse and on my night stand. Recently, Fresh launched the same Sugar lip treatment in a Rosé tinted formula.



    This formula has the same SPF 15 to protect your lips, sugar to keep your lips moisturized, and Meadowfoam and Apricot seed oil that are rich in hydrating fatty acids and vitamin E. It still has antioxidants and Vitamins A and C to help protect from free radicals. This new formula is enhanced with a bright berry hue to give a natural flush to your lips.

    I admit, when I first saw this color, I was crestfallen. It looked too bright to be my new go-to product. But when I put it on, I fell in love. It isn't anywhere near as bright as it appears, but is nicely pigmented to give your pout a slight blush. For $22.50, this product is definitely on the expensive side for lip balm. However, you will love how soft your lips feel, especially if you are truly one of my brethren suffering from winter weathered dry skin.

    Check it out. I love it!

    (Disclaimer: I purchased the original Fresh Sugar Lip Balm and received the Rosé Tinted Lip Balm from the company for the purposes of review.)


    Times Square Reader Makeover

    Last week I was in NYC shooting a commercial. Robin, one of my loyal readers, realized I was nearby and asked for a makeover. How could the retired makeup artist in me refuse? I couldn't! The event? While I would love to say it was for the 15th anniversary of her bat mitzvah (it was!), she was really meeting her new beau in Times Square to watch the World Series on the jumbo trons. She wanted flawless skin and to make her baby blue eyes pop.

    (A before picture of Robin)

    As I have mentioned, I spend way too much time in Sephora, and have no problem making myself at home. The first stop? The TEMPTU air brushing station. I sat Robin down, picked the lightest color they make, Porcelain, and began spraying away. After explaining to a customer service assistant that I didn't need help and promised not to break it (or air brush anyone else, despite their queries) Robin had really amazingly flawless skin.

    (Illamasqua Sheer Lip Gloss in Tantrum)

    Next, I showed Robin the new lip gloss I am obsessed with, Illamasqua Sheer Gloss in Tantrum, a deep violet sheen. This color made her eyes pop and became the muse for her whole look.

    (Delight by LORAC)
    (Celebutante by LORAC)

    We went with bright LORAC eyeshadow; Delight all over the eyelid and Celebutante as a thick, but sheer cat eye liner. Next came a lash-hugging application of Front of the Line by LORAC in black to give her already long lashes a boost. I also gave her eyebrows definition with all my time favorite Auburn Essential Brow Powder, by Bare Escentuals. We finished off her eyes with Bare Escentuals Buxom Mascara, which gave her long lashes some extra oomph in the thickness department.

    Robin has a natural pink flush. While camouflaged by the TEMPTU foundation, I didn't want it to show through. Since her eyes were already screaming candy, we went with a slightly more subdued peachy-pink in Coralista by Benefit. Just a tiny bit of color topped off with Flawless Radiance by Bare Escentuals and she looked amazing!



    Afterwards, we headed out into the masses to take one last picture and find her friends. Thanks Robin!






    Subscribe and never miss a thing! Disclosure/Disclaimer Statement Copyright 2009, Gouldylox Reviews. All rights reserved.