Monday, December 14, 2009

Almost Out of Time: Holiday Ideas for When the Internet Isn't Fast Enough.

    Unless you are my friend Capella, who purposely shops on December 24th for everyone and sets up her tree that night, you are officially behind the 8-ball of Christmas shopping. And I am right there with you. I am having a personally super-goofy, Lifetime Television, drama-filled life and can't seem to figure out what to get anyone. And Mom, I know I still need to tell you what calendar I want. (Something with pretty dog photography, maybe?) Here are some ideas for when internet delivery won't make it in time.



    925 Silver, a shop I have loved for a long time, located in the heart of Fells Point sells beautiful and funky silver jewelry in price ranges for everyone. You can throw a rock in that store and I promise you I can't live without whatever it hits. The upside is you are guaranteed to find something, the downside is you have to get up and go there in person. They are still working on a website.

    You can't go wrong with a salon gift certificate. I can promise you that while your loved one is getting a relaxing massage, facial or whatever, they are thinking about how awesome you are. If I were picking, I would opt for a facial from JoElle at Ted Gibson/Hela Spa in DC, a haircut from Bethany at Balance The Salon in Baltimore, a mani/pedi from Red Door or anything from Burke Williams. Ooh! I just heard from the Red Door Spa and they are offering a cool gift card promotion. If you purchase a $200 gift card or gift certificate you receive a free $30 gift card to use for yourself. Sweet!

    For the makeup maven or skin care obsessed lady in your life, do them a favor and give them a subscription to Beautypedia. Beautypedia is a website run by the Cosmetic's Cop, Paula Begoun, who tells you which products can chemically do what they claim from a scientific standpoint. It's pretty much the holy grail for cosmetic fans, even if Paula and I disagree on a few choice brands. (I'm sure she's right, but I like what I like sometimes.) If the internet subscription won't work, mosey over to your bookstore and snag a copy of either of her equally amazing books, Don't Go to the Cosmetics Counter Without Me or The Original Beauty Bible. Here is a pic of the two of us at a recent speaking engagement. Look at that skin - she clearly knows what she is talking about!


    Subscribe and never miss a thing! Disclosure/Disclaimer Statement Copyright 2009, Gouldylox Reviews. All rights reserved.