Friday, June 25, 2010

Prove It! Tarte Park Avenue Princess Matte Bronzer


    I love proving cosmetic companies' claims true or false. So many companies get away with rampant crazy advertising that I enjoy putting them to the test. While today's claim is by no means crazy, it does boggle the mind. Today I am testing the claim that Tarte's Park Avenue Princess Matte Bronzer is waterproof. How can a powder be waterproof?



    Last year, I tested the waterproof claims of their amazing mascara Lights, Camera, Splashes, by rolling downhill in a hamster ball, partially filled with water. My shorts fell down (It's like being inside a washing machine. It happens.) and you can hear me make this yodeling-like noise down the whole hill, but my mascara was still fab at the end.

    So I get how mascaras are easily waterproof. They are made of polymers and things that don't come off easily. But I am always curious about waterproof products that are powders. How do they stay put? So when Tarte offered, I jumped at the chance. Sadly, I won't be going Zorbing again until later in the summer and don't currently have access to a pool. So I did the next best thing. I took a shower wearing the bronzer. I even shampooed and conditioned my hair like normal. Clearly, I didn't wash my face in the shower but I didn't shield it from getting wet.

    I am a huge fan of Tarte's products. They are cruelty-free and are made without parabens, sulfates and petrochemicals. According to Tarte, this matte bronzer, aside from being waterproof, also contains Skinvigorating™ ingredients like pure water to deliver and retain moisture, vitamins A and E, which act as antioxidants to fight free radical damage, vitamin C, an antioxidant that fights free radical damage and prevents oxidative stress and premature signs of aging while brightening skin, and mineral pigments that are known for their soothing and softening properties.

    Here is what the Park Ave. Princess Matte Bronzer looked like before I hopped in the shower.

    This bronzer gives a pretty, natural matte bronze look. I am normally very pale and I think this looks as if I have just come back from a quick vacation. You can build up the color, depending on how bronze you want to be.

    So I took a shower, which lasted about 10 minutes. I didn't try not to get my face wet, but I did try to avoid rubbing my face (which is slightly harder than you might think). When I got out of the shower, I looked like this:

    Park Ave. Princess didn't budge. I am not sure how this powder clings to wet skin, but it clearly does!

    Then I blotted my face gently with a towel, assuming the color would transfer and fade. I didn't rub my face, but I did blot it several times.

    I'm still bronze!! I honestly thought this test would fail, but instead it's a huge win! If you are looking for a natural looking bronzer to chill poolside, I found it. If you pick it up between now and June 30th and use checkout code GLAM, you'll score an adorable Glam On The Go Kabuki Brush for free!

    What is your favorite waterproof bronzer? Tell me in the comments!

    Subscribe and never miss a thing! Disclosure/Disclaimer Statement. Makeup, beauty, skincare reviews & more! Copyright 2009-2010, Gouldylox Reviews. All Rights Reserved.