Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Revlon Just Bitten Lip Stains

    I am always looking for a lip stain that isn't red or bright pink and doesn't dry out the lips AND works for more than a week. I tested Cover Girl's version of lip stains last year and it didn't go well, despite a good friend of mine LUERVING them.

    I saw these in the aisles of CVS and picked up two colors.

    Just Bitten is a new lip stain by Revlon that tries to fix the major problem with most lip stains - the dry out factor. Anyone who wears these knows that your lips aren't moist (am I the only one who finds that word awkward to use?) and that your pucker is parched before you leave the house.

    So to combat the dryness issue, Revlon added a lip balm to the other end of Just Bitten. The lip balm at the end is a plain, non-scented chunk of lip balm. It adds a little shine, but offers no real hydration. Still, the shine and slightly smoother feeling definitely make up for overall dryness that happens with most lip stains.

    I picked out two colors, Flame and Forbidden. At the store, the swatches of Flame suggested it was Coral-ish and Forbidden appeared to be the closest to a brownish, natural lip color. I like the idea of the colors being different from the usual bright pink and dark red that lip stains always turn out to be.

    Here is what Flame looked like on, with the balm.

    Dangit! That isn't coral in my book! It's pink! Again with the pink lip stains. Is there some rule I don't know about that stop people from making a lip stain in a NON-PINK color? For what it is worth, it wouldn't COME OFF, even after I washed my face, took a shower, used a waterproof makeup remover and slept for 8 hours. I still had bright pink lips.

    The next morning, I tested Forbidden, which I thought would be better when I put it on. Indeed, it was. Forbidden was a nice, natural lip stain, without a huge color payoff (which is fine by me!). Forbidden can start at almost nude (above) and build to a darker reddish brown stain.

    In the end, they definitely aren't dry, although I am not thrilled with the colors. The lip balm included feels like a chunk of stuff that barely comes off on your lips, but it does make your lips shine slightly. I guess the quest for a good lip stain in a color that isn't pink- or red-based will continue.


    I bought these colors myself. And for what it is worth, Revlon doesn't test on animals, according to Beautypedia.

    Subscribe and never miss a thing! Disclosure/Disclaimer Statement. Makeup, beauty, skincare reviews & more! Copyright 2009-2010, Gouldylox Reviews. All Rights Reserved.