Monday, January 3, 2011

L'Oreal's (Really Silly) One Sweep Eye Shadow

    A bit ago, someone at L'Oreal had the ludicrous idea that if they put three shadows in a tin together and made a sponge that was sort of shaped like your eye, they could give those eye decal thingies a run for their money. What a dorky idea.

    Which is why when I found out they existed, I scoured my area looking for them. Finally, three weeks later, they arrived at my Ulta and I labored over which (silly) color to buy. Since I went through the trouble of having a blog and all, how can I pass up writing about something like this?

    I picked the silver, blue, platinum combo. It looks like this.


    Here is how you do this. Or at least how I tried to make the best of it. It comes with a sponge that is shaped like your eye, in a weird way that sort of works.


    I took said sponge and smooshed it into the powder on the side of the sponge that would correspond to the eye I wanted to apply it to (you have to use both sides of the sponge to do both eyes). I laid the sponge on the shadow, pressed down and wiggled it very slightly. This picked up the powder in the shape L'Oreal intended, and without messing up the powder for use later.


    Then I carefully placed the sponge over my eye, making sure to line up the corner of the sponge with the corner of my eye. Then in One Sweep, I applied the shadow. I did this on my first try.


    Ok. That isn't a total fail, but I wouldn't call it a win that deserves to be mass marketed. I was afraid to try to blend the lines, as it didn't really deposit a lot of color. I didn't want to do the same eye over, as the lines wouldn't line up. Maybe that is how you are supposed to get a blended look. But that would also mess up the applicator (have you noticed I really hate sponge applicators?). So I flipped it over and did the second eye.


    Basically, the same results. Super.

    I added some eyeliner (a new Revlon product, which I actually love and will tell you about later) and mascara to complete the look.


    In the end, it isn't really all that bad. I have no idea why you would want stripey eye shadow and if you play with it enough (and add a brush) you can probably blend this out and make it look pretty. But that would go against the One Sweep idea. So is this a total fail? Nah. Is it worth the $8? Nah.


    I guess if you are totally makeup-challenged, maybe you can pull this off. It's not the easiest to use, but also not the hardest. If you can use a brush and blend, then you already have the tools and don't need this. If you try it, let me know how it works for you.

    I bought this. L'Oreal does test on animals. Revlon does not test on animals. In fact, they were one of the first giants in the industry to swear it off.


    Subscribe and never miss a thing! Disclosure/Disclaimer Statement. Makeup, beauty, skincare reviews & more! Copyright 2009-2010, Gouldylox Reviews. All Rights Reserved.