Friday, December 10, 2010

Personal Microderm: Pro Results at Home?


    I am clearly a beauty adventurist. Need me to drink some peculiar powder to see if it makes my skin glow? I'm your girl. Need me to try a face peel or other odd new treatment? Count me in. And we all know I appreciate a serious scrub. So obviously I jumped at the chance to try a Personal Microderm At Home Microdermabrasion system.

    According to the company:

    Achieve amazing anti-aging results at home with Personal Microderm System. It works just like a professional microdermabrasion treatment without the hassle or cost. The hand-held device uses the same aluminum oxide crystals as the ten thousand dollar machines found at your doctor’s office. It smooths away dead skin cells, diminishing age spots and other signs of aging.

    With this system, I got a pamphlet, DVD (that states it is required watching prior to use), the actual microderm wand, 6 discs, 2 caps and the electrical cord.

    (The wand itself.)

    The blue discs are for your face. They have a slightly less abrasive "grit" and are better for the skin on your face. There is a smaller one to get to the smaller areas, like around your nose and a larger one, for areas like your cheeks and forehead. The green discs are for your body and have a slightly more aggressive "grit". Each size comes with it's own "cap" to create the perfect amount of suction needed.

    (The larger size disc, for the body, cheeks or forehead.)

    Here is how it works. You thoroughly wash your face to remove all oils. Then your face must dry completely. And I mean 100% dry. Once your face is dry, select the appropriate size disc and cap and attach them to the wand. Then start out along the jaw line (that is what I like to do) and let the suction attach the wand to your face. Without letting it sit in one place for more than a split second, carefully move the wand in a line on your face, careful not to go over the same spot more than once. It's important that you NEVER go into the under eye area, above the orbital bone area. That skin is too delicate for even the face disc. The makers suggest using this every five days for several weeks and then going on a maintenance plan.

    (The smaller size disc, for the face.)

    But does it work?

    After the first use, I saw dramatic differences in the spongy skin that is the at the base of all of my personal skin gripes. The large-pore, spongy skin now looks flatter, less spongy and not as noticeable after one use. I have had professional microdermabrasion in high end spas and do believe that I am getting similar results at home. I can also do it weekly, which impacts the final results, and I could not afford to do that at the spa.

    Now that I have used it several times, I am finding that my skin looks refreshed and I am seeing an improvement in its texture. With continued use, you will need to replace the reasonably priced microderm discs (about $15), but otherwise, you could be set for the serious spa treatment at home for the price of one real treatment (around $175). Obviously, it also helps with the absorption of your lotions and serums, so you'll need less product and make your investment in skincare go farther.

    A bit about the possible downside. It's not a downside, unless you are a knucklehead like me. People like me are the reason that other people question if you should use these types of at home products. In fact, the very reason I am the one reviewing this, is because one of my blogging sisters was too nervous to do it. I can't say this loudly enough.

    YOU MUST FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS. DO NOT SKIP AHEAD TO THE NEXT STEP BECAUSE YOU WANT FASTER RESULTS.

    The reason that people injure themselves with instruments like this is because they want better results, faster. I did too. I skipped ahead and ended up abrading my skin. I healed quickly and didn't miss an at-home treatment. If you skip ahead to the stronger disc too early, you will hurt yourself. So follow the directions and you'll have pro-microdermed looking skin in no time. But for the love of cheese, learn from my mistakes and follow the directions. If you do, you'll be radiant, smooth and glowing in no time!

    If you are seeking a generous gift idea for a fellow beauty junkie, this may be just what you are looking for!

    UPDATE: Since the original writing of this post, the company has changed their name to Eviderm.

    This product was sent for the purpose of review.

    Subscribe and never miss a thing! Disclosure/Disclaimer Statement. Makeup, beauty, skincare reviews & more! Copyright 2009-2010, Gouldylox Reviews. All Rights Reserved.