Saturday, July 4, 2009

What the SPF?




    I was in for quite a shock when my dermatologist, Dr. Julia C. Santoso Pham, DO, and I had words about my SPF use last May. I went in for a suspicious bit on my leg (it's fine), and she questioned if I ever used an SPF (!!). My friends will tell you I am a bit of a pain about making sure you use an SPF. Even when I worked on the sales side, I always pushed people to use a good SPF. I have used one personally (or so I thought) for the last 12 years, every single day. According to my Derm, I had been wasting my time.

    I thought, using a nice budget conscious daily lotion with an SPF of 15 would do the trick. Apparently I was sadly mistaken. See, I am Irish, for the most part, and have really pale skin. I don't tan. I only burn, peel and then go pale again. Every day, I was slathering on my lotion and going about my business. I don't like outside (nature, water, bugs, ehh) much, so my exposure is pretty limited. Walking from my car, to a building is really about it. That's not much, right? Turns out, from driving in my car, UVA rays (the non-burning, cancer causing ones) were damaging my shana punim! No wonder I have more freckles on that side of my face! Now I am stuck with sun damage I am trying to fade and prevent it from getting worse. Since what I was using wasn't working, I asked her what I was doing wrong. For better or for worse, this is what she told me:

    1. Don't use anything under an SPF of 20. In fact, aim for 45. It should be a Broad Spectrum with UVA /UVB protection. It should have Helioplex. Helioplex is a proprietary combination of avobenzone (also known as Parsol 1789), oxybenzone and a photostabilizing solvent, Hallbrite TQ. In other words, it is a combination of several types of sunscreens, proven to give excellent coverage against UVA/UVB sun damage.

    2. Since I burn right away, with an SPF of 20, my time outside should be limited to 5 hours (preferably less), or I needed a higher SPF. This includes DRIVE TIME. I should apply it more than once a day.

    3. Don't count on anything in your makeup to protect you. The amount you would have to use to get the promoted protection is never going to happen.

    4. Just because you didn't burn, doesn't mean you didn't damage your skin and won't get brown spots. UVA causes cancer and deterioration in the collagen fibers in your skin. UVB rays cause burns.

    5. Her recommended daily sunscreen is Neutrogena sunscreen with an SPF of 20+ and it must have Helioplex.

    Ugh. The only sunscreen I could find that fit her bill was one meant for the body. Thick and gooey, I wasn't thrilled. Then recently, I saw an ad for a new product that was meant for the face, had Helioplex and kicked free radicals tuckus. Neutrogena Anti-Oxidant Age Reverse Daily Lotion SPF 20 with Helioplex. On days where I am only driving and walking briefly, this is my new go to face lotion (along with Quench). It is no where near as goopy, goes on nicely and does not make my made-up face slide south. However, on days where I am outside for more than a few minutes, I will still follow my Derm's advice for a much, much higher SPF.

    The bottom line. Make an appointment with a dermatologist to find out if you are doing enough to prevent future damage and skin cancer. I was shocked with the answer I got.
    UPDATE: Also be sure to check expiration dates on your sunscreen. If they are expired, they may not work as well and worse yet, may smell like cat tinkle. I know better to always check expiration dates. Now you do to!