Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Stila's Color Wheel



    As soon as I got the email from Sephora, I was curious about the Stila Color Wheel. This giant shadow palette contains 37 colors, all of which are coordinated for easy use. The palette also comes with two travel size double ended brushes and a 16-page booklet that details how to create a look for every section of the color wheel. This palette retails for $38 and is available from Sephora and StilaCosmetics.com.

    This palette can easily serve up enough looks to carry you through all seasons. I have found the colors to be specifically on the sheer side. When used with a primer, they can be layered to build up bigger punches of color, but straight out of the palette, most of the colors are on the sheer side. They can be worn dry or wet, and obviously different primers will change the colors' appearance.


    I picked the 7 colors in the middle of the circle and swatched them dry. Here they are, starting with the bottom bright blue and going clockwise, starting from the bottom, with the middle as the top color.
    (Can you follow that?)

    I also swatched the same colors on top of a basic eye primer. I grabbed the closest thing to me and used UDPP. These colors are starting to impress me a little more!

    (Now we're talking!)

    I am a little bummed that the colors don't have names, and instead are only recognized by numbers. It's not uncommon for large palettes to not contain the signature colors everyone loves (some of the other Stila holiday palettes do contain these colors), but it just makes me assume there is no chance any new favorite colors will reappear anywhere else.

    In my honest opinion, this is the perfect palette for young women just getting into makeup or people who want to start experimenting with colors outside of the nudes or browns. None of these colors are going to come across as shocking or too bold, although you can work up to achieving more color with a primer. All of the colors are sheer enough for even the most color-hesitant gal to wear. If you are becoming color-curious, or if you just need to expand your color wardrobe, it's a fantastic value!

    Is this palette making your list of must-haves?

    Stila doesn't test on animals. This palette was sent to me for the purpose of review. I also picked one up myself. Stay tuned in the upcoming weeks for why!

    Subscribe and never miss a thing! Disclosure/Disclaimer Statement. Makeup, beauty, skincare reviews & more! Copyright 2009-2010, Gouldylox Reviews. All Rights Reserved.