Friday, March 12, 2010

e.l.f. Beauty Encyclopedia: Everyday Eye Edition

    When I was asked to check out some e.l.f. items, I was excited. I have only seen what is in Target and haven't really gotten much of a chance to check them out. I know my colleague's mom loves their products and is generally excited about each item, the way some of us are about limited edition Paul & Joe Beaute' collections.

    I decided to try the Beauty Encyclopedia: Everyday Eye Collection by e.l.f. This kit comes with a little black eyeliner, a cute sponge and short-bristled brush, two cream eye shadows and TWELVE shadows. Considering this whole kit, which also comes with details and "how to"s, can be yours for $5, I wondered two things: How bad does this stink and why doesn't everyone own one for traveling purposes alone?

    Let's discuss the twelve shadows first. They range from white highlighter to inky black with a touch of special. The two silvers are gorgeous and really deliver a nice amount of pigment. The middle row of colors are all so sheer they are great for a natural eye, but you aren't going to be able to build anything other than that. The bottom row of colors offers a little more pop, especially the last two browns.

    The cream shadows are ok. I don't hate them the way I did these, but they are so sheer, these won't be replacing my favorites anytime soon. But for a quick, natural glisten on your way to get coffee while on vacation, these will see you through.

    While I am not a sponge-tipped applicator kind of girl, I do like the smaller bristle-side of the brush. It reminds me of a Bobbi Brown brush that came in a palette I ended up returning. It's small and not that densely packed, but it's nice and totally functional.

    All in all, for something that costs $5, this is an amazing little collection (that doesn't stink at all). If you need to rock a runway eye for 10 hours, this isn't your kit, even with a super-primer. But if you need to doll your eyes up for a night on the town, this is perfect. And I am not kidding about taking this to travel. It's flat, weighs nothing and has almost everything you need in one little no-mess kit. You should probably stock up.

    What do you think of this kit? Would you try it or pass it up? Tell me in the comments!

    This was sent to me for the purposes of review.

    Subscribe and never miss a thing! Disclosure/Disclaimer Statement.
    Makeup, beauty, skincare reviews & more! Copyright 2010, Gouldylox Reviews. All Rights Reserved.