Thursday, March 4, 2010

Eye Cream From the Second Century: Fresh Creme Ancienne Eye Cream


    In the winter, my skin is beyond dry and regular readers have heard me complain about this for what seems like forever. The skin around my eyes gets dryer, which results in crinkly, crepe-y looking skin. When I heard about Fresh's Creme Ancienne Eye Cream, inspired by gladiators and monks from the second century, A.D., I was curious to learn more. Here's the back story:

    THE STORY OF CRÈME ANCIENNE EYE CREAM Its time-honored formula was inspired by the world’s first emulsion-based cream created by Claude Galen in the 2nd century A.D., who used it to swiftly heal gladiator’s wounds. To preserve Crème Ancienne’s rich history and supreme quality, each jar is hand-blended and hand-filled in a European monastery. The precious waxes that give the cream its rich consistency require this hand-blending to maintain their delicate structures. They have varying melting points, absorbing into the skin and different rates to deliver continuous, long-lasting moisture.

    Just thinking of a product that monks painstakingly worked on so long ago and the fact that the basic recipe has survived so long makes me think there might be something to it. (Cue music by Enigma.)

    So what ingredients make this time honored recipe so legendary? Meadowseed Foam Oil, Jojoba Seed Oil, Beeswax, Sugar Apple Seed Extract, Seabuckthorn Berry Oil, Chamomile, Vitamin E and Rosewater help soothe delicate tissue, hydrate skin and fight free radicals with help from antioxidants.

    So what did I think of this glamorously tranquil creme? This eye cream is thick. I mean thick. It is almost more like a balm than a creme. It is uber-hydrating (reminds me of the results I got with the old version of Prescriptives Flight Cream) and definitely hydrates the under eye area. I would be a little cautious about using this if you are prone to milia or blemishes. While I am prone to milia and didn't experience any, a creme that is this thick always makes me want to warn people who battle these keratin filled cysts.

    This eye creme felt like an extreme luxury. It did plump fine lines temporarily and boost hydration in the area under my skin. A little goes a long way and while this isn't the least expensive eye creme on the market, it will last for quite a long time!

    Product was sent to me for the purposes of review.
    Photos courtesy of the Monastery of St. John and Fresh

    Subscribe and never miss a thing! Disclosure/Disclaimer Statement Copyright 2009, Gouldylox Reviews. All rights reserved.