Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Are All Black Liners Created Equal? Testing Three Similar Liners


    I recently saw a new liner by Stila and thought about it obsessively until I went back and picked it up. Then I came home and started going through all of my makeup, including my other black liquid liners. This stuff isn't cheap, and on the surface, it all kind of looks the same, right? As you all know, to me, the difference is in the details, and liquid liner is no different. But can you tell the difference? Does it even matter?




    The first liner (A) is Front of the Line PRO in Black Noir by LORAC. This amazing pen delivers a black line with a brush that can draw a fine or thick line, depending on the amount of pressure used.

    The black in this eyeliner tends to skew a tiny smidge green/gold and is slightly shiny. If you purchase this liner, be sure you are getting the Front of the Line PRO (sold online and at retailers), not the original Front of the Line liner, which may come in discounted kits. The brush isn't the same and the old brush renders this product really hard to use. This liner is great for day to day looks, as well as sculpting a specific cat eye or other artistic line.



    The second liner (B) is the Stila Stay All Day Waterproof Liquid Eye Liner Black, which had me drooling for hours after testing it on my hand at the store. This liner comes in a remarkably similar brush/packaging as the LORAC. This liner lasts longer than the LORAC liner (in tests where I apply it and see which comes off first when I try to wash my arm - totally scientific), but not by much. I am in love with this liner because it has a reflective quality to it that reflects slightly silver, yet very dark, almost like obsidian with bit of silver sparkle. When I wore this liner for the first time, Loxy kept commenting on how bright my blue eyes looked. This liner is also great for day-to-day looks and won't look harsh, because of its reflective properties.
    The third liner (C) is by Mally Beauty, Evercolor Lasting Eye Liner in Black. It's almost like a Chinese Calligraphy Ink, it's that dark. This liner is perfect for smoldering, exotic looks. This color is a deep, deep black that is more matte than shiny. This liner comes with a traditional cap brush and doesn't move no matter what, so a steady hand is a must. It also comes with a great stiff, angled brush that applies the liner perfectly. It's almost like getting a tattoo. I'm not kidding. When I apply this liner, I like to draw the line on with the cap brush and then trace over it with the brush (dry). This makes the edges slightly less harsh and is much more forgiving if you don't have super steady hands.

    What is your favorite way to apply the perfect black line? Liquid? Gel with a brush? Liquid liner with a light trace of matching powder? Tell me in the comments!

    I purchased the Stila and LORAC liners myself. Mally Beauty sent me their product for review.


    Subscribe and never miss a thing! Disclosure/Disclaimer Statement.
    Makeup, beauty, skincare reviews & more! Copyright 2010,Gouldylox Reviews. All Rights Reserved.