Sunday, February 14, 2010

Prove It! Can Talika Lipocils Grow Eyelashes in 28 Days?

    Last month, I spoke with a friend in Research and Development at a big cosmetics company about what makes curling mascara work. He noticed I had mentioned over and over again how pathetic my own lashes were. Short, sparse and thin, they are nothing to blog about. He suggested I look into trying a few products currently on the market. Latisse, PTR, LiLash - there are quite a few to pick from.



    I did consider some of the treatments available to increase my lash length and thickness. However, Peter Thomas Roth is out of my price range. Then there is Latisse, which Brooke Shields is hawking in a national TV and print campaign. The results look right up my alley. Long, lush and beautiful is just what I'm after. But their price tag leaves something to be desired and the side effects worry me.

    Here's how Latisse works (results pictured above). Latisse contains Bimatoprost, which has been shown to grow lashes when applied daily. Lash growth was originally discovered as a side effect of glaucoma treament. Recently the FDA has approved it for cosmetic use. However, this proven drug comes with its risks. Most notable are temporary brown staining where applied on the skin and the scary "permanent iris pigmentation change." I have nice blue eyes and as much as I want longer lashes, I don't really want dark brown spotted blue eyes. According to Paula Begoun, chemist behind the Cosmetics Cop, "Incidences of such side effects are low, but, as with any drug, you need to discuss the pros and cons with your prescribing physician or pharmacist." Even with a low chance of changing my eye color and the good chance of growing some real lashes, I have to pass on Latisse.

    However, my R&D friend suggested a product I hadn't heard of, Lipocils, by Talika. Lipocils is made up of a variety of lash conditioners, which claim to improve your lashes over a 28-day period. It doesn't appear to contain any Bimatoprost or prostaglandin-related ingredients and Talika claims that the ingredients are very safe, even for sensitive eyes. My R&D pal claimed he had great results, so for $40, I headed to Sephora and decided to try it.

    Here is how it works. You apply in the morning and before bed, coating the top and bottom lashes. It comes with a mascara wand and the clear liquid is easy enough to apply. Here's the claim: in 28 days, Lipocils will give me longer, fuller lashes. I tried to figure out a way to measure my results, but my lashes are so short, they almost don't show up in photographs. I wasn't willing to pull one out to measure it, since they are so sparse. Plus, I honestly didn't think I would have results worth measuring. Twenty-eight days later, here are my results.

    These are my eye lashes before I started using Lipocils. I am wearing mascara and my lashes are curled. I know - I told you they were pathetic!



    After 28 days of applying Lipocils, I am thrilled to say my lashes are longer, slightly thicker and definitely look fuller. I am honestly a little shocked by the result. While I didn't have to trim anything, as one Allure tester recently reported, I am really excited with the results. I am wearing the same mascara, although the application on the bottom lashes is admittedly slightly heavier. They still aren't hitting my glasses or in need of a trim, but they are significantly better than before. Color me impressed!





    Consider this proven.
    Talika Lipocils definitely grew longer, nicer lashes for me in 28 days!


    Subscribe and never miss a thing! Copyright 2009, Gouldylox Reviews. All rights reserved.