Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Ask Gouldylox: What Makeup Should I Take To Uganda?

    I am asked quite a few questions each week. But this one piqued my curiosity. A reader named Amanda is going on a year-long volunteer trip to rural Uganda and asked me what might be wise to bring with her. She, like me, is a makeup girly-girl. I can only imagine that traveling for a year without your beloved beauty products would be tricky. I know I would definitely want some of the comforts of home. I can also imagine carrying your home in a backpack so everything you bring needs to be easily transported, with no room for waste.


    Amanda, while you are reading about a blogger who easily uses 30+ products each and every day, I appreciate that you are considering bringing just a few items with you. But even I would concentrate on the minimum that I would need to "survive". And by survive, I mean not be in pain and hate life. It's also time to throw vanity to the way side, so forget about bringing eye shadow, blush and a lip brush. I did a little research and here is what I think I would pack. And I am not even touching vaccines and meds you should bring with you, like malaria tablets or giardia medicine.

    1. Medicine. I would bring aspirin, bandages and anti-bacterial ointment. You're gonna need this. If you want, go crazy and throw in a few Denture Cleaning Tablets. If you soak your nails in this solution, they will become whiter and look more polished.

    2. Beauty Basics. A few emery boards, a pair of tweezers, a wash cloth or two, razors, nail clippers, a brush/comb, elastic headbands, pony tail holders, barrettes, a head scarf and possibly a few bars of Dove soap. If you have the room, add a nail buffer, so you can feel like your nails look polished. If it were me, I would start out with a really short hair cut so you won't have all of that hair holding in the heat around your head, and you can let it grow out as you travel. But then again, I am really prone to ultra short hair. I also think you will be pleasantly surprised by the products available in the local towns and cities.

    3. Makeup. Clearly, you won't be wearing this every day. In fact, I would leave almost everything at home and embrace whatever the locals use. If you wanted, for special occasions, you could bring your BE Foundation. I did check with Bare Escentuals and their product won't change in high heat or humidity. The sunscreen in the product is a physical sunscreen and therefore inert and won't change in form or function, despite the climate. I would consider bringing a multi-purpose product, like BE's Flawless Radiance. You can use it on your cheeks, eyes, collarbone, arms or anywhere you want to add a little sparkle. I would bring an eye lash curler and either clear or black mascara. If you feel like you have to have something on your face every day, I would look into something like MagiX by Avon, which is a fantastic primer that mattifies your face, without looking like you are wearing anything. I would also snag one of the Aqua Eyes waterproof liners from Make Up For Ever for special occasions. I would be sure to pack a lip gloss or two (make sure it has SPF). Plus, judging by the photos I found of Ugandan women on the catwalk, they are fierce and will be able to teach you a thing or two!

    4. Creature Comforts. I have to have a good pillow. That said, a pillow is annoying to lug around , even if you are primarily staying in one place. I would consider bringing a pillowcase that is super comfortable to you. For me, it would be a silk pillowcase. However, in high heat, I would reconsider and be very happy with a high thread count Egyptian cotton that feels really comfy. I would also consider bringing one pair of Pajamas that feel amazing on your skin and creating your own beauty ritual night each week. Even if it is just showering, perhaps creating a beauty mantra and sleeping in your special pj's will give you with a different kind of beauty experience, while reminding you of home.

    5. The number one things I would not be able to live without would be sunscreen with a high SPF and lip balm that is emollient and has a high SPF rating. (No less than 25.) You will also have to buy more of this as you go - you can't possibly take a years' worth of product with you in a knapsack. I am sure (and from what I have read) you can get these things in towns in Uganda. And if you are anything like me, throw in a little aloe vera gel for those inevitable sunburns.

    (photo courtesy of http://marlaevermeer.wordpress.com/2008/11/)

    The other thing not to forget is a host gift for the family/people you will be staying with or who will be helping you. It is suggested that you bring t-shirts or post cards from your hometown. But I could make the argument that if makeup is truly one of the loves in your life, every woman needs their own eyelash curler. I am pretty sure if you are staying in rural area the women may be unlikely to already have them. ;-)

    And while you're there, can you please fix the malaria problem and stop that awful new law regarding homosexuals? And the child sex workers - fix that too. Ok, if all of that is a bit much to take on, can you at least write and let me know what the beauty customs are in Uganda? I would love to find out! And in the meantime, check out this great blog I found from someone who did something similar a few years ago!


    Subscribe and never miss a thing! Disclosure/Disclaimer Statement. Makeup, beauty, skincare reviews & more! Copyright 2010, Gouldylox Reviews. All Rights Reserved.