Thursday, May 13, 2010

Spotlight on Skincare: HydroPeptide


    Today, I would like to spotlight one of my new favorite lines, HydroPeptide. Developed by Dr. Louise Peck, a professor of dietetics who has studied proteins and their application in skincare for the better part of the last two decades.

    According to the company, HydroPeptide is unique because it's the only line to include 19 peptides (the largest variety of peptides utilized in the industry), at clinical levels, within every product (with the exception of our SPF). This is very important because with peptides repetition, variety, and clinical levels are the key to seeing results. Plus, HydroPeptide is paraben-free, synthetic fragrance-free, for all skin types, and uses natural and organic ingredients when appropriate.

    Peptides are basically proteins that help your skin cells communicate to each other. As we get older, our skin doesn't bounce back as quickly as it once did. Imagine that your cells that make up your skin can't hear each other. Properly formulated peptides have the ability to "amplify" what your cells are trying to say to each other.

    Not all peptide-based products are created equal. Many are not balanced and packaged in a way that allows them to remain stable and effective. To find out if HydroPeptide can live up to its claims, I tried a few products to find out.

    Before I tell you about my experience, you should know that HydroPeptide developed their own way to best meet your skins needs, The Simply Ageless Skin Key (SASK). The "keys" are Purify, Relax, Nourish, Stimulate, Hydrate, and Protect. All of their products fall into one of these categories and by using SASK, you can fine tune your skin care regimen, using fewer products and getting more for your money.

    I didn't try an entire regimen. Instead, I focused on two specific products:

    Anti-Wrinkle Brightening Toner: This toner is used in the am and pm after cleansing the face. According to the website, you will "Glow vibrantly with this hydrating toner that treats wrinkles, prevents collagen loss, reduces pore size, and fades age spots. Skin is left feeling extra clean, healthy, hydrated and totally radiant."

    I love how this smells. It smells slightly lemon-y and it leaves my skin feeling very clean and fresh. It contains lactic acid, an AHA, to help exfoliate to reveal smooth, new skin. It also contains Bearberry, which has the ability to lighten melasma. It also contains naturally occurring moisturizers and leaves skin bacteria-free, key to fighting breakouts. I haven't had any breakouts (that weren't waxing-related) while I have been using this toner. I am sad to report that my melasma hasn't faded, but regular readers know that nothing short of sanding the dark spots off my face will remove them, it would seem. (Chemical peels and prescriptions are not working to my satisfaction.)

    Anti-Wrinkle Repair & Prevent Treatment is used twice a day, after cleansing. According to the website, "Recapture youth & evade your true age with a mega-dose of peptides & antioxidants. This potent, yet refreshing & light cream defines “anti-wrinkle” with its ability to revive lifeless skin. It repairs natural skin elements, lifts fines lines & wrinkles, firms sagginess, restores radiance & clarity, & prevents collagen loss while smart hydration ensures ideal moisture for your skin’s exact needs."

    I swear my skin glows when I use this. Vitamins A,C & E along with free radical-fighting antioxidants and cell-communicating peptides gave my skin an undeniable radiance when I used this product. I liked this product so much, it is a contender for my HG list. This even contains cucumber to relieve irritation and keep skin feeling calm and looking happy.

    Both of these products are cruelty-free and paraben-free, which makes me smiley.

    Have you tried HydroPeptide? Did you love it? Tell me in the comments!

    These products were sent to me for the purposes of review.


    Subscribe and never miss a thing! Disclosure/Disclaimer Statement. Makeup, beauty, skincare reviews & more! Copyright 2010, Gouldylox Reviews. All Rights Reserved.