Friday, May 28, 2010

The Summer Soiree at the Red Door Spa: Finding Your Summer Style



    Last night, I was invited to an event at the Red Door Spas in Cross Keys to see what was new for summer. The spa looked amazing and offered a sample of what their talent stylists, artists, estheticians, nail technicians and masseuse can do. Of course, I made a bee-line for the make up studio to see what was hot this summer.

    I was happy to see celebrity makeup artist Lindsay Ebbin, who had given me a fall makeover last year, and I couldn't wait to hear what looks he would dish out for the upcoming season.

    "Summer is about lightening everything up. Let your skin look radiant and bright, but with a sun kissed glow. Emphasize your eyes, but in a subtle way."


    He took off my sadly smudged face from a day of busy, busy (read: stressful!) tv production. The first thing we discussed was how difficult it is for makeup artists to match my foundation. (I have almost gotten into many a fight at the MAC counter. They don't get it.) My neck is several shades lighter than my face. The added yellow blotches, melasma and smattering of freckles, don't make it any easier. Lindsay had the perfect solution, "Red Door has a custom blend foundation. We use a special camera to capture your perfect foundation. No two are alike. You can't get a more perfect match than this."


    I worked with Deidra to create the perfect blend. I chose my skin type (dry) and the finish I wanted (natural). Then we held the camera up to the area right on my jawline. In less than 2 minutes, I had a sample size jar of perfect foundation. It was amazing! The Red Door in Cross Keys is the only location (that I am aware of) in the Baltimore area to be able to blend such a custom foundation.

    I headed back to Lindsay to see what colors were in for summer. To create my bright, lifted complexion, Lindsay used the custom foundation and sealed it with their Pure Finish Mineral Powder. He then used their Pure Finish Bronzing Powder to create cheekbones and a sun-kissed glow in one quick step. For my eyes, he used a light golden shade and Bubbles, a beautiful blue in the crease. He lightly lined my lower lashes only and finished with a touch of mascara.


    On my lips, he chose a color unlike anything I own. (Where was he when I was wandering in Sephora looking for something unlike anything I own?) He picked out Bronze Berry Pearl lipstick and finished with their lip gloss in Honey Glaze. The overall look was beautiful!


    Next, I was on to hair. I was so curious to see if anyone new had some thoughts on what to do with my hair helmet. The stylist suggested I add a light, volumizing pomade after I flat iron my hair. She showed me how she would tousle my hair to give it a more lived in, less conservative mom vibe. The end result was messy, but really cute.


    Much to my surprise, the Red Door has several massage and facial rooms, to de-stress and purify your face. I knew they had rooms, but not 20 of them. Now I know where to go when I need to relax, stat! I got in a quick seated massage and was once again told that your shoulders don't belong around your ears. I am not sure that is correct. My ear lobes rest on my shoulders naturally. I can't help it.

    Not sure what to do to get your look summer ready? Check out the Red Door Spa for a head to toe makeover! And if you are in the DC area, check out the Red Door at the Willard. I am told they have amazing mani/pedis available on their gorgeous terrace. It's the perfect treat!


    Subscribe and never miss a thing! Disclosure/Disclaimer Statement. Makeup, beauty, skincare reviews & more! Copyright 2009-2010, Gouldylox Reviews. All Rights Reserved.