Monday, April 5, 2010

Bare Escentuals Color Addiction Challenge: Day One

    Bare Escentuals, makers of my favorite eye shadows, recently re-released some older colors to make us color addicts happy. (The line boasts over 200 different color shadows.) Loxy had noticed all of the shadow combinations on display at the boutique recently and asked how you know what goes with what. He thought it was really overwhelming (our pal Melissa agreed, looking in awe at all of the colors) and was confused how someone would know if they were a summer or fall; or a cool or a warm. Bah! I responded. Any color can work on any person, it's all about how you use it. I believe that. You just have to be willing to break out of that taupe and tan eye shadow mold and experience color!

    So, to show Loxy and Melissa that in fact, you can wear more than taupe and tan together, I decided to give myself a challenge.

    Here is the deal. Each day, for five days, I will take the luck of the draw (literally) and use whatever five shadows the eye shadow deities select for me. Here's how it works. I have a deck of cards with Bare Escentuals eye shadow colors on them. And, because I have an embarrassingly large collection of shadows, I'll use whatever cards are drawn. In the unlikely event that I draw one of the few colors I don't have, I'll use whatever color is closest that is in my BE collection. BE colors are so easy to wear and so blendable, I bet I can make a pretty look out of whatever is drawn. Forget your color theory rules. My name is Kelly, and I am a color addict!

    side note: There is one color I am slightly afraid of and have no clue how to use. I won't tell you what it is, but it is bright and not what I would pick for a (slight) red head!

    Here are the results of Day One: Mexican Dinner with Friends for Loxy's Birthday



    After my first shuffle, I dealt myself the following colors:

    Nude Beach
    Chameleon
    2000
    Moss
    Midnight Sky Liner

    I guess I lucked out with my first draw. Moss is a greenish brown that picks up whatever is around it. Chameleon is a bright light blue, but I wouldn't normally choose to pair it with Moss. I have a feeling that the Midnight Sky Liner will tie it all together nicely.

    So here is what I did. I used Nude Beach on the lid, 2000 in the corner, Chameleon on the inner eye crease and Moss on the outer crease. I applied Midnight Sky as a smokey liner on the inner rims of my eyes. I finished with Buxom Mascara in Blue Noir to make the blues in the pigments pop. I gave my lips a quick swipe of Katie Buxom Lip Polish and was set!



    What do you think? Tell me in the comments!

    Subscribe and never miss a thing! Disclosure/Disclaimer Statement.
    Makeup, beauty, skincare reviews & more! Copyright 2010, Gouldylox Reviews. All Rights Reserved.