Thursday, April 1, 2010

The Case of the Foundation That Falls Off

    I recently had another chemical peel. My face had just finished peeling and I went back to wearing makeup. On the first day, I thought it was a little odd that my makeup was gone in a few hours, despite wearing a primer that I know and love.

    The next day, after a few hours, I noticed that my nose looked weird and that my makeup was literally balling up and flaking off of my schnoz. What gives? Sometimes as someone who reviews products, it is a little tricky to get to the bottom of the issue because I switch products so often. I thought it was due to a new Face Finishing Anti-Powder not liking the possibility of my dry skin, despite the fact I hadn't read anyone else having that problem. Maybe my skin was more dry than I had thought?

    That night, I exfoliated with an amazing Pumpkin Masque (more to follow on this gem!), cleansed with my Clarisonic and all traces of flaking skin were history. The next morning, I put on my foundation (Cover FX Natural) and the Face Finishing Anti-Powder. Within two hours, my foundation was gone and my nose looked really weird again.

    What the what?

    I have never had this problem before. Then finally, when getting ready the following morning, I figured it out. I had run out of my Holy Grail Sunscreen and switched to something I had handy, Neutrogena Skin Renewal Moisture SPF 30. When I applied it, I noticed that it was actually balling up and pilling on my face. That's new! No wonder my makeup wasn't staying on - my foundation was literally balling up and falling off! That explains the weirdness around my nose. I am not sure why my luck with Neutrogena has run out. I have had success with Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry Touch Formulas, but this one and the last one I tried have been epic FAILS. To be fair, when I wear the sunscreen with no other products, it works ok. I still get smaller sunscreen balls, but only when you rub your face. I guess the combination of additional skin care products with the sunscreen followed by foundation is too much for this nicely packaged and scented sunscreen.

    I switched to two different brands for testing purposes (Clinique SPF face Cream and Aveeno) and nothing bad has happened yet. My makeup is staying on and nothing is balling up on my face. So clearly, the Neutrogena SPF was the culprit. Although to be totally honest, the texture of everything I keep trying is thick and goopy (with the exception of the Jan Marini SPF). It eventually dries down nicely, but it still feels heavy. I'll do a full review of these two products in the next few days. But so far, nothing is beating my Holy Grail Sunscreen from Jan Marini. At the end of it all, I am just glad my foundation is back where it belongs and things aren't falling off of my face.

    I bought the Neutrogena, Jan Marini, Aveeno and Clinique sunscreens.

    Subscribe and never miss a thing! Disclosure/Disclaimer Statement.
    Makeup, beauty, skincare reviews & more! Copyright 2010, Gouldylox Reviews. All Rights Reserved.