Thursday, April 29, 2010

What I Would Buy With A $100 Gift Card to Sephora


    If you haven't noticed, I really like makeup. And while every day I see and learn something new, I have a pretty good sense of what is out there and what might work for people looking for a specific product. When Anne from Beauty Xpose asked me to help her mom Connie spend $100 at Sephora, I was thrilled to oblige. Anne shared a few of her mother's likes and dislikes, as well as what kind of makeup user she is. I know she likes things nice and neutral, wears her makeup in classic styles and is a Bare Escentuals fan (like myself). I was told she is perfectly happy with her skincare and is looking for makeup only. With summer right around the corner, and so many wonderful things to chose from, I had to wheedle down my list several time to keep it around $100.

    With thousands of things to pick from, I focused on products that would be a great choice for the upcoming months. That means easy looks that protect your skin and are simple enough to wear out to dinner, shopping or on vacation.

    My first choice is Sephora Tinted Moisturizer ($21) - It's oil-free, packed with cell communicating peptides and provides SPF 20 UVA/UVB protection. Tinted moisturizers are great for summer because they don't feel as heavy on the skin as other foundations, take moments to apply and don't give you an overly made up look. I tried this in the store and was really pleased with how dewy and beautiful the coverage was. It reminded me of other much more expensive tinted moisturizers.

    Clinique Color Surge Butter Shine Lipstick ($14) has been my go-to lip color this Spring. The texture of this gloss is amazing. It fills out fine lines and makes lips look luscious. For Connie, I would chose Adore You. However, I also love Baby Baby and Poppy Love. The only downside is it doesn't have an SPF, so if you are wearing this outside for longer periods of time, be sure to wear a lip balm with an SPF of at least 15.

    For a long wearing, beautiful blush, I suggested MakeU p For Ever HD Microfinish Cream Blush ($25). These blushes are my new favorite cream blush. The colors are buildable, natural and give skin a healthy glow. You can't go wrong with any of them, but for Connie, I like #7 in One Too Many. It's a peachy beige that looks great on everyone. While purchasing the brush MUFE suggests for this blush is a nice treat, I have no problems applying this with my fingertips (or my stippling brush).

    LORAC Front of the Line PRO Liquid Liner ($22) in brown. The pen applicators on these make it so easy to use, you'll wonder why you didn't already own it. It is the easiest liquid eye liner on the planet (along with a similar pen from Stila) and the brown color is a rich, warm brown, without glitter or sparkle. I wish they made this in colors besides Black and Brown! Be sure to pick up the PRO version of this liner. The version before the PRO is not easy to use and I think the applicator is too rough on the eyelid.

    BE Flawless Radiance ($18) . This all-over face color adds sheen to highlight a cheekbone. Or use it at night on your collarbone and shoulders to go totally glam. It is a must-have for any Bare Escentuals fan and works seamlessly with any foundation. Flawless Radiance is like adding a tiny layer of gossamer wherever you apply it. Add it anywhere you want to highlight your skin; it looks natural and beautiful, without a ton of chunky sparkle.

    I didn't quite manage to leave room for tax, but did manage to total exactly $100.00. I can't wait to hear what she thinks of her new summer goodies. Are you looking for something new and not sure what to get? Tell me about it in the comments!

    Subscribe and never miss a thing! Disclosure/Disclaimer Statement. Makeup, beauty, skincare reviews & more! Copyright 2010, Gouldylox Reviews. All Rights Reserved.