Saturday, June 20, 2009

Can You Really Be Per-fekt ?

    The following are some mighty claims, " A multi-tasking, all in one, vitamin enriched, sweat and water-resistant skin perfector". Sephora says this, "Glides on effortlessly to instantly improve skin tone, reduce redness, and help minimize the appearance of enlarged pores and fine lines. Enriched with powerful antioxidants including the universal antioxidant alpha lipoic acid, and vitamins A and E to help repair, protect, and fight future environmental skin damage, this lightweight gel helps maintain hydration leaving the skin with a healthy, even glow by locking in moisture and absorbing excess skin oils." It sounds like the holy grail of makeup, right?

    I picked this up on the business trip that wouldn't end (3.5 weeks!) earlier this year when a sales associate showed me how Per-fekt was at covering up my enlarged pores. Granted, it did look pretty darn good when she did it. In fact, I looked positively airbrushed. Sadly for me, the next day, I realized that it didn't give me any coverage and while my pores looked wonderful, my blotchiness did not. Remembering how amazing I looked the day before, I was determined to make it work.

    Reviews refer to this as a foundation, gel and primer. In my opinion, it's too light to be a foundation. It's also a little slick on it's own for my taste. I tried it as a primer with mineral foundation. Eww. No good there. I don't need another gel, especially one that has color. So there it sat, sadly, on my shelf next to other products who have been forgotten.

    Until today. Today I decided to give it one more try with my Maybelline Dream Mousse Foundation, which I adore right now. I applied a thin layer as a primer. Unlike with a mineral foundation, it applied gloriously. It still pilled from time to time (yes, I mean like a sweater) and that is still not ok. But my skin looked wonderful. My makeup lasted way more than 12 hours and I looked fresh as a daisy all day.

    I think I will save this for special occasions when I really need to look amazing. It's not budget friendly, especially since it can't really stand alone. But with the right foundation, this stuff is Perfekt.

    Love it. Check it out!

    Copyright 2009, Gouldylox Reviews