Friday, June 19, 2009

No Mani/Pedi Is Complete Without...

    I recently received a Scandle candle and didn't know what to expect. A Scandle is a candle made of essential oils, soy and moisturizing lotion. When the candle burns, it creates an emollient lotion, perfect for manicures or massages. A girlfriend of mine who works as a Holistic Wellness Practitioner mentioned that she'd heard really good things about these "lotion candles with a wick", so I was excited to check it out. Not quite understanding how a candle can be lotion and not be made entirely of wax and be moisturizing was confusing for me. It's a new concept, so give me some time, please.

    I had gotten the Green Tea Aloe Scandle, which smells wonderful. Think of that warm, green scent that instantly relaxes you when you walk into a really nice spa and that's what this smells like. I love it. In fact, I brought it to work with me and everyone keeps trying to sneak away with it.

    According to their website, the Scandle:
    • is made from a complex blend of soy and all natural vegetable oils
    • does not emit toxins while burning
    • emits an incredibly small amount of soot
    • burns cooler and therefore, slower
    Later, relaxing at home, I decided to give myself a mani, using the lotion the Scandle gives off when it burns. After letting the candle burn for a few minutes, I let the flame go out the and lotion cool just a smidge. Pouring a bit in my hand, it felt different from the lotion I normally use to moisturize my hands. This hearty lotion is hydrating in a way that just feels different. It seems to sink into my skin, yet leaves my hands feeling really soft and smelling fantastic. And don't worry, unless you touch the flame itself or pour it out while the candle is burning, you can't hurt yourself. You can even just scoop a small portion of the Scandle out to use as a moisturizer, as I just discovered when my co-worker, The Squirrel, couldn't resist trying it out sans flame. I know what she's getting for Christmas.

    The Scandle is definitely becoming a fixture at Spa Gouldylox in the future. The relaxing scent and unique lotion really make the most of home mani/pedi. I find myself almost hoping that my polish chips so I have a good reason to use my Scandle sooner than later.

    I love it. You may need this!



    Copyright 2009, Gouldylox Reviews