Monday, June 22, 2009

Prove It! Loreal 6 Hour Infallible Lip Gloss

    Prove It! is a new type of post for Gouldylox Reviews. Many cosmetic items make claims that sound too good to be true. Who am I kidding? All companies make those claims. Even if a product falls slightly short of making me taller, thinner and sexier, it doesn't mean that the color isn't good or that the beta hydroxy acid isn't effective. Prove It! posts will test the claims of cosmetics as thoroughly as possible and give you the results. The first Prove It! test revolves around a lip gloss and it's claim to wear beautifully for six hours.

    I was in the drug store yesterday and couldn't pass up this Loreal Infallible 6 Hour Lip Plumping Lip Gloss. It is a gorgeous color and that alone sold me. In fact, the color is so pretty, I didn't mind the fact that it was long wearing. I don't trust that stuff. It always seems to dry out my lips or require multiple steps. In the past, I would have passed. This stuff looks great on Eva Longoria in the ads and I would be happy if I looked like her. Can this lip gloss deliver six hours?

    But the plumping Coral Sands color is really, really pretty. It has a little sparkle in a different-than-usual coral color. I really hope this formula doesn't stink. But can it last for six full hours of normal wear? Here is how my official "Prove It" scientific testing goes:

    Test One: Wearer (me) applies at 8am and goes through morning routine as usual. This includes drinking beverages, kissing my husband several times, eating Greek yogurt with honey and lots of chatting. For this lip gloss to live up to its claims, it must stay on and visible for 6 hours, until about 2pm.

    Results of test one: Lip gloss makes it through drinking a beverage, although is much less shiny, but some shine, color and sparkle is left on the lips. Lips also start to feel VERY STICKY about 20 minutes into the test. I don't have hair that can get caught in it, but if I did, we are talking the equivalent of getting your-hair-caught-in-a-bicycle-chain-sticky. All color is gone at 10:30. Two and a half hours isn't bad for round one. Granted, the color really faded and it was really sticky, but two and a half hours is pretty impressive.

    Test Two: Repeated test one, beginning at 12pm. For the gloss to stand up to it's claims, it has to last until 6pm. Lip gloss must last through lunch and a chatty, possibly stressful, meeting.

    Results of Test Two: Color lasted until about 2pm. It is still very sticky, but the color is so pretty when it is first applied. (I feel glamoured by this color, making me forget why I am testing it) I also decide I don't care for the applicator. Two hours seems to be the average length of wear, it would appear. That's not too shabby.

    Test Three: Mission Combat the Sticky. I really like the color and want this to work! At 3pm, gloss was applied and allowed to dry to the sticky finish. Then a non-sticky gloss (Benefit California Kissin) was applied over the Loreal 6 Hour Infallible Gloss. At 3:45pm, the California Kissin surrendered to the sticky. The color is still there, but I am left with the sticky. Blurgh.

    It's Been Proven: The color is beautiful, but we knew that! While it doesn't last for six hours, two hours for a gloss is really not bad. Sure the color really fades after 45 minutes, but it is so pretty! However, if you are one of those gals who is bothered by sticky gloss, this isn't for you.

    Tell me what product has you curious to live up to it's claims - perhaps it will be the next to Prove It!




    Copyright 2009, Gouldylox Reviews